Friday, December 7, 2007

Cabinet And PC Wiring


Once I had the coin door ready, I had to wire it up. The lights are just automotive bulbs, so they take 12 volt DC, easily supplied from the computer's power supply. I just took a female molex connector and made a wiring harness for it. I ran out of heatshrink tubing and the electrical tape I'm using barely sticks, hence the zip ties holding the whole works together.



On a 4-pin molex cable, yellow is 12v, the black ones are ground, and red is 5v. Once hooked up, the coindoor bulbs light up beautifully.










While I was futzing around with the coindoor lights, I also put a female molex connector on the 12v input on my powerstrip relay.



To turn the computer on, I wanted to extend the computer's power switch to the outside of the cabinet. It was already setup with a switch, I just removed the existing toggle pushbutton that the cabinet used to switch on the mains power to a momentary contact pushbutton like ATX uses.


For the wires, I didn't want to hack into the case or cutoff the PC's power switch headers. I had a couple header blocks from a newer motherboard I have and decided to use those. I soldered the end of the switch onto two pins on the header block and plugged them in. So now I have two PC power buttons. I ran out of wire so it's a bit short, I may have to redo the switch.

No comments: