Sunday, October 28, 2007

Building a MAME Cabinet 2

So we're living in a place with a nice garage and once again, I'm obsessed with Mame again. The last few weeks I've been watching Ebay and Craigslist for a good deal on an arcade cab. The best deals are always from a seller in Oakdale called totally_arcade. Dude's selling working cabs for around $100 - $200 dollars. Good quality shit too.

First one I saw was Die Hard in an ugly but functional Jamma cabinet. I thought about getting that one, but it was rough and not the shape I was looking for. I thought that since it had a small 19" monitor, my 21" would fit in there quite nicely. But, I held off and didn't get it, I don't like 2 piece cabs I guess.






Next one was a game called Cycle Warriors. I thought about this one because it had a great big monitor and a big control panel. However I realized that my garage is small and Cycle Warriors was just too friggin' big.







Things came and went on Craigslist and Ebay. The most shocking of them was someone giving away a free Pac Man. Just bring a truck to Pacifica nd pick it up. I'm sure that one went quickly. If I had a pickup, I would've had that sucker. Anyway, earlier this week, the perfect thing popped up. totally_arcade was selling Carrier Airwing in a beautiful standard Jamma cabinet. Nice monitor, clean cab, coin door and a game I actually knew and liked, Carrier Air Wing (UN Squadron on SNES). I bought that sucker on Thursday, October 25th and arranged delivery for $25 bucks gas money. This cabinet is exactly the same shape as a thousand other Street Fighter machines I've seen over the years. It's exactly the thing I had in mind and what I would've made if I built one from scratch.

I can't wait until it gets delivered either tomorrow (Sunday October 28th), or Monday. I've never worked with actual arcade machines. I imagine I'll run into problems working with the machine's power and monitor and I'll have to figure things out to get it working as I go. I want a really clean setup and don't want two power cords running into the thing and two power supplies. I imagine I'll have to engineer some kind of relay to run mains power to the computer power supply and the marquee lighting/coin door and have it all run on one switch.

But I'll figure all that stuff out later after I play Carrier Air Wing and do some research. :D

No comments: